What Causes Stains and Discoloration?
Along with the effects of age, which no one is immune from, there are many other reasons for stained or discolored teeth:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Red wine, coffee, tea, turmeric, berries, etc.
- Developmental defects in the enamel
- Certain types of antihistamines, antidepressants, and antibiotics in childhood (e.g. tetracycline)
- Blunt force trauma to the teeth
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
A whitening treatment uses bleaching agents such as carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide that contain oxygen molecules to penetrate the enamel. When used in the right concentrations, these agents break up and removes both deeper stains and surface stains to whiten your teeth by up to 8 shades.
The FDA limits the strength of store-bought whitening treatments, so they won’t provide the same results as our professional options. We offer two choices, both of which are not only faster and more effective than over-the-counter options, but also minimize the temperature sensitivity that some people get from whitening.
Zoom! In-Office Whitening
With a Zoom! whitening treatment, you’ll come into our dental office and leave about 2 hours later with your final results. Here’s how it works:
- We’ll start by determining your initial shade so we can evaluate your final results.
- We’ll isolate and protect all the soft tissues in your mouth such as your lips, gums, and cheeks before applying a professional strength whitening solution to your teeth.
- Then we’ll expose your teeth to a special light that accelerates the process. This is done in 15-20 increments.
- We’ll continuously monitor your results throughout your visit to make sure you don’t develop any sensitivity.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening Kit
As a cosmetic dentist in Vintage Park, we know that some of our patients want an option that can be used at home. With our convenient whitening kit, you’ll still get a smile up to 8 shades brighter, but it will be done more gradually. This option takes just 2 visits to get started and includes the following steps:
- We’ll start by taking impressions of your teeth to make custom whitening trays. These trays will fit your teeth perfectly so the whitening gel can reach the entire surface area of your teeth.
- It typically takes 1-2 weeks to make your trays. When you return to pick them up, we’ll give you a supply of whitening gel along with instructions for using them at home.
- You’ll wear the trays for 30-60 minutes a day until you get your final result, which usually takes 10-14 days.
With both options, we’ll also review the best way to maintain your results at home.